CRISIS/HOSTAGE NEGOTIATION COURSE
At the end of this
40-hour training course, the student should be able to:
1. Understand the premise of crisis negotiation.
2. Recognize elements of successful crisis negotiation.
3. Apply common crisis negotiation terms.
1. Recognize the value of effective communication in crisis
2. Apply the principles of the Behavioral Influence Stairway Model
3. Recognize barriers to effective communication.
4. Apply basic communication skills to crisis negotiation.
1. Determine organizational requirements for an
effective crisis response.
2. Coordinate personnel, resources and
equipment for crisis negotiation.
3. Identify training requirements
associated with crisis negotiation.
1. Apply safety and security measures to contain
2. Establish command and control during a crisis
3. Mitigate a crisis incident.
4. Establish operational objectives during a
5. Evaluate and manage risk during a crisis
6. Plan a risk-effective incident resolution.
Phases of Negotiation
1. Recognize phases of crisis negotiation.
2. Apply techniques for an effective negotiator
3. Apply techniques for effective bargaining
with the subject.
4. Communicate a risk-effective surrender.
Intelligence and Information Management
1. Recognize the value of intelligence in
mitigating a crisis.
2. Develop a system for managing intelligence.
3. Differentiate categories of crisis
4. Apply intelligence to resolving a crisis
5. Maintain effective incident information
charts and dialogue records.
Negotiating as a Team
1. Understand the team concept for successful
2. Serve as a member of a crisis negotiation
3. Document crisis negotiation team activities.
Principles of Negotiation
1. Recognize circumstances conducive to
successful crisis negotiation.
2. Recognize and apply factors that
contribute to successful crisis negotiation.
3. Recognize a non-negotiable situation.
4. Recognize and apply factors regarding the use
of third party intermediaries.
Law Enforcement and the Psychological Crisis
1. Recognize characteristics of mentally
ill or emotionally disturbed subject
2. Apply techniques for communicating with
mentally ill or emotionally disturbed subjects.
Suicide Intervention for
Law Enforcement Perspective
Recognize suicide trends within the United States.
2. Identify terminology associated with suicide.
3. Identify risk factors associated with suicide.
4. Identify risk indicators associated with the immediacy of suicidal
5. Apply effective intervention techniques for the actively suicidal
1. Serve as a member of a crisis negotiation
basic communication skills to crisis negotiation.
3. Use crisis negotiation
equipment as a primary means of crisis negotiation.
4. Recognize and apply
factors that contribute to successful crisis negotiation.
Document crisis negotiation team activities.
6. Apply intelligence to resolving a crisis