CRISIS/HOSTAGE NEGOTIATION COURSE
At the end of this 40-hour training course, the student should be able to:
1. Understand the premise of crisis negotiation.
2. Recognize elements of successful crisis negotiation.
3. Apply common crisis negotiation terms.
1. Recognize the value of effective communication in crisis
2. Apply the principles of the Behavioral Influence Stairway Model
3. Recognize barriers to effective communication.
4. Apply basic communication skills to crisis negotiation.
1. Determine organizational requirements for an effective crisis response.
2. Coordinate personnel, resources and equipment for crisis negotiation.
3. Identify training requirements associated with crisis negotiation.
1. Apply safety and security measures to contain a crisis.
2. Establish command and control during a crisis incident.
3. Mitigate a crisis incident.
4. Establish operational objectives during a crisis.
5. Evaluate and manage risk during a crisis incident.
6. Plan a risk-effective incident resolution.
Phases of Negotiation
1. Recognize phases of crisis negotiation.
2. Apply techniques for an effective negotiator introduction.
3. Apply techniques for effective bargaining with the subject.
4. Communicate a risk-effective surrender.
Intelligence and Information Management
1. Recognize the value of intelligence in mitigating a crisis.
2. Develop a system for managing intelligence.
3. Differentiate categories of crisis intelligence.
4. Apply intelligence to resolving a crisis incident.
5. Maintain effective incident information charts and dialogue records.
Negotiating as a Team
1. Understand the team concept for successful crisis negotiation.
2. Serve as a member of a crisis negotiation team.
3. Document crisis negotiation team activities.
Principles of Negotiation
1. Recognize circumstances conducive to successful crisis negotiation.
2. Recognize and apply factors that contribute to successful crisis negotiation.
3. Recognize a non-negotiable situation.
4. Recognize and apply factors regarding the use of third party intermediaries.
Law Enforcement and the Psychological Crisis
1. Recognize characteristics of mentally ill or emotionally disturbed subject
2. Apply techniques for communicating with mentally ill or emotionally disturbed subjects.
Suicide Intervention for Law Enforcement Perspective
1. Recognize suicide trends within the United States.
2. Identify terminology associated with suicide.
3. Identify risk factors associated with suicide.
4. Identify risk indicators associated with the immediacy of suicidal intent.
5. Apply effective intervention techniques for the actively suicidal person.
1. Serve as a member of a crisis negotiation team.
2. Apply basic communication skills to crisis negotiation.
3. Use crisis negotiation equipment as a primary means of crisis negotiation.
4. Recognize and apply factors that contribute to successful crisis negotiation.
5. Document crisis negotiation team activities.
6. Apply intelligence to resolving a crisis incident.